Thank you for your interest in joining GTSC! Candidate membership is designed to encourage younger surgeons and residents (US or International) to participate in Club activities. Candidate members must be enrolled in an accredited training program in general and/or thoracic surgery. Additionally, candidate membership is available to thoracic surgeons who have recently completed an accredited program in thoracic surgery but have not yet met the requirements for Active membership. Candidate members shall be entitled to the duties and privileges of Active members, except that they shall not have the privilege of voting, they shall not be eligible for election to the Executive Committee and are not eligible to serve as an Officer of the Club.
It is our hope that surgeons and residents new to the field of general thoracic surgery will find the GTSC an excellent way to advance their career. If elected to Candidate Membership, yearly membership dues are $50, which is due at the time of application and is refunded if the application is denied.
Requirements for Membership:
- Be a Medical Student, General Surgery Resident, Thoracic (cardiothoracic) Surgery Resident or Thoracic Surgery Fellow
- Be enrolled in an accredited training program in general and/or thoracic surgery or completed a program but do not yet met the requirements for Active membership
- Candidate Members must apply for Active membership upon both obtaining specialty certification in thoracic surgery by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery or the Royal College of Surgeons, or other official certifying organization approved by the Executive Committee, and have been in practice for a minimum of two years beyond the completion of formal training in thoracic surgery, devoting at least 50% of your practice to general thoracic surgery.
- Candidate Members may not exceed a period of time greater than six years beyond the completion of an accredited training program in thoracic surgery.
Requested Application Materials:
- Create a recording and phonetic spelling of your name via Name Coach
- In an effort to promote diversity, inclusion and belonging, GTSC kindly requests that all members to utilize the free website NameCoach.com to create a recording of their name. NameCoach aims to solve the common problem of name mispronunciation and gender pronoun communication in as many critical settings as possible.
- Please click here for step-by-step instructions.
- Example Recording: https://www.name-coach.com/sidhu-gangadharan
- Upload a Sponsor Form from one Active or Senior member of the Club
- Alternatively, the Chief of the Department, Division or Surgery can complete the form if you do not know an Active or Senior member.
- The sponsor form replaces the need for a letter of recommendation. Without a completed form, GTSC cannot accept the application.
- Upload your CV
- Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis (Jan, March, July, Oct). Acceptance notifications will be sent upon the Executive Committee's review.
- If you are submitting an application between January 15th and the Annual Meeting and wish to attend the upcoming Annual Meeting, please register at the non-member rate.
- Pending applications will be reviewed during the meeting and if approved, a refund for the difference between the non-member and member registration rate will be issued.
Please contact email@example.com with questions.
Are you a Candidate Member looking to transition to an Active Member? Candidate members can apply for Active Membership after completing formal training, practiced for two years, and obtained specialty certification in general thoracic surgery from within the country of their training. If you would like to transition your membership to Active Member, please complete the following tasks:
- Send the Sponsor Form to TWO Active or Senior members of the Club and ask that they complete/remit back to you.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org your desire to switch to Active membership and include the two sponsor forms and your CV.